Saturday, July 15, 2006

PanicButton

This isn't good, it's been 3 weeks or so again since I posted, but I've been busy (wife horse jumping competitions, me going to Montreux Jazz Festival, work - video generation, video conferencing, voiceXML, SVG stuff).

Anyway, I came across a really simple idea today which I thought was pretty good. PanicButton
is a piece of free (OpenSource?) software which sits in a windows SystemTray, when you click on it it sends a screendump of the current desktop to a preconfigured e-mail address. The intended use if for IT support - install it on your Mums' computer for example - for all those times they tell you there was this popup but I don't remember what it said.

Funny that, I was just saying to the wife yesterday how annoying it is that most windows popups don't allow you to copy/paste it's contents, and today I stumble across a solution.

The software is a very early version so far but I hope future versions will live up to the potential of this simple tool. I can see it being used for man purposes other than "Panicking".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about Panic Button. Just wanted to answer the open source question. It's released under the GPL, so it's both open source and Free Software.

Russ

[Conference - CodeEurope.pl] Developing Micro-services on Kubernetes

In April I had the chance to present at CodeEurope.pl , first in Warsaw on Apr 24th, and then in Wroclaw ("wroslof" was my best at...